Projects

Saturday, December 22, 2012

DIY Rustic Herb Planter

I have decided that this year the majority of the gifts I wanted to give would be homemade.  Not just because it's a bit more personal but also because it's downright fun!

When it comes to my sister she is always super easy to buy for but I wanted to make her something this year that would blow her away and just be totally her!

If you know my sister you know that she loooooves gardening but tends to be so busy that she can barely make it out the door to her garden through the summer.  So keeping that in mind when I saw an idea for a rustic indoor or outdoor her planter on Mama's Style (which is one of my most favorite blogs!) I just had to try it out! 

The planter that they had made was much smaller and only for one herb or for many in the same pot but I decided to go bigger!

My Dad had some barn board in his shed from his old family farm on Manitoulin Island that he had taken away after it was torn down so I knew that a piece of that would be perfect! And he was willing to part with a piece!  

He also had some fantastic old canning jars from his Grandmother that were yearning to be used in a neat way!

Here's what you will need to get going with your own rustic herb planter:

-old barn board or if you want a newer cleaner look some nice pine or cedar
-old or new canning jars
-L brackets
-plumbing clamps
-screws (deep enough to get some good bite into the wood, keep in mind there will be dirt in the jars)
-picture wire to hang











Start by laying out the jars to decide where you want everything placed.  Once you have decided where everything will go, attach your L brackets under the jar for support.










Position the plumbing clamp using the jar while it is in place.  Make sure to have the clamp high enough so that the jar won't fall over and will be stable once it is filled.  Once attached tighten the clamp so it is snug around the jar but not too tight (you don't want to break the jar).
 









Repeat with each jar until they are all attached.  String your picture wire through the top (there were already holes in the board from when it was attached to the barn so for me there was no drilling required!)

And there you have it! A rustic (or neat if you do it the "new" way) herb planter.
I also picked up some herb markers from Lee Valley the last time we were in London so she can stake out what each jar holds!

I loved this so much that I wanted to keep it! But I'm still going to give it to my sister and make myself one this summer maybe!

Have fun trying this one out!








No comments:

Post a Comment