Projects

Thursday, December 6, 2012

DIY Makeup Brush Cleaner

Good Morning!  Now that I have the Christmas chaos under control I can work on a bunch more posts!

Today I have an awesome mix for DIY makeup brush cleaner.  I researched different blogs and crafty sites to see what was the best method of making your own and tested out a few options over the last few weeks and here is the best one that I found works and conditions your brushes!

You'll need:


1 small bottle (I recycled a small shampoo bottle from Lush)
measuring cup
funnel
olive oil (for conditioning)
dish soap of your choice! (for cleaning)


I added 1/4 cup of dishsoap and a 1/4 cup of olive oil to the bottle.  There are a few sites that say more olive oil and some say more soap, I played around with it and this works really well for conditioning and cleaning the brushes.


Super easy!!


I made sure to use a bottle that has a lid with an opener on it so it's easier.

The best way that I found to clean your brushes is to start with a dish and a SMALL amount of cleaner...I have a bad habit of using too much.  I would say use a dollop the size of a quarter for each brush.



Swirl your brush around like you are cleaning a paint brush...

**major caution on this one! Try not to get the cleaner all the way up the bristles and to the handle since it can breakdown the clue holding the brush and bristles together**


You will start to see makeup come out pretty quickly.  Then take the brush and swirl it in the palm of your hand for a deep clean.  After that I take the brush and clean it off under warm (not hot) water in the palm of my hand to get the residue off.

Squeeze out most of the water gently and shape the brush back into it's original form.  Then lay the brush on a paper towel to dry.  For powder brushes I let them dry most of the way and then stand them up with their sleeve on to maintain shape.


This is what you are left with in the end...


Ewe!

So that's it! It's pretty simple to do.  Before each use make sure to shake up the bottle to mix the oil and soap and you're ready to go!

Happy Cleaning!




No comments:

Post a Comment