Projects

Monday, January 21, 2013

Moroccan-Spiced Pork Chops!

I love to cook, I love to bake but I am definitely not one to start experimenting with spices.  I have my set spices that I tend to use, often more of one and less of another to change the taste of whatever I am making to suit the dish.  Rarely will I buy spices and marinades that aren't familiar because I am just too nervous to mess up a recipe and not like it at all!

But since I've started to change my eating habits I have also decided to change my flavor habits too.  I looooove ethnic food, if I could live at My Thai Palace I would!! Yum! And there is this fabulous place in town called Ali Baba's that has a wide blend of Indian and Moroccan cuisine.  I am really hoping that it is still open since I haven't been there since just before my son was born ... hmmmm, next date night I am thinking!

When I came across a recipe for Moroccan-Spiced Pork Chops I was all in.  This recipe pairs it with Apricot and Cilantro Couscous, which is fantastic!!

Here is what you will need:
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp ground coriander
1 pound uncooked lean only pork loin (4x 4oz boneless chops)
2 tsp olive oil
10 oz uncooked whole wheat couscous
2 cups fat-free chicken broth
8 1/2oz canned water-packed apricot halves - chopped
1 tpsp cilantro, fresh - chopped

In a large ziplock bag, mix the cumin, coriander and cinnamon (for myself using this recipe the first time around I only used half the cumin, next time I would definitely use all that it calls for!).  Add the pork pieces to the bag, seal it up and shake it up! Just an FYI, if you have and eight month old in the kitchen with you when you are doing this step it is apparently hilarious to watch and will bring about giggles!  Make sure the meat is well coated and marinate in the fridge for 20-30 minutes.

In a large deep skillet over medium high heat, cook the pork chops turning them once browned on one side. The recipe called for them to be light pink inside and said this would only take about 8 minutes...yeah, no.  It took about 8 minutes per side for that.  You can judge for yourself when yours are done.  I know not a lot of people like pork to have any pink left so use your own judgement.

While your chops are cooking, prepare the couscous following the package directions with the chicken broth instead of water.  Fold in the chopped apricots and cilantro (try not to "sample" too much of it since it will smell amazing while you are doing this!).

Plate up your couscous with the chops on top and there you have it!  This meal serves four so if you are looking to impress at a dinner with friends I would highly suggest this one as an intro into new spices!
I was going to make a side salad to add in some veggies to the meal but while trying not to mess up the chops I completely forgot which as it turned out the salad wasn't needed at all as this was a very filling meal!

In case you were wondering this would be a twelve point meal, which was pretty darn worth it!

Try it out and let me know if it has spiced up your meal plan!






No comments:

Post a Comment